Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Senior Dog
1. Senior dogs make excellent companions for everyone.
2. Senior dogs are more relaxed and mellow than puppies and young adult dogs. Most are content to lie at your feet, happy to have their bellies rubbed and their ears scratched.
3. Daily life can be stressful and hectic. Research reveals that having a companion animal can decrease blood pressure and reduce stress.
4. Most senior dogs settle in quickly, demanding less time and attention than a young dog would as they are already house-trained and have been taught basic commands.
5. Senior dogs can make excellent therapy dogs and can learn new tricks keeping everyone feeling younger and connected.
6. Senior dogs have developed their personalities unlike puppies, so they are more ‘what you see is what you get’.
7. Senior dogs are instant companions and ready for the next adventure – hiking, swimming, whatever you like to do.
8. Senior dogs have graduated from life, knowing that you chew bones, not shoes.
9. Senior dogs are truly best friends for life; they have a great capacity for love and devotion. They are content to just to be close to you.
10. While you may be concerned that the time you share with a senior dog may be short; the bond that develops with a senior dog grows quickly and strongly as every day is special. This love is greater than the pain of the eventual separation.
Older dogs make great friends and rescuing a senior dog is one the most rewarding and amazing experiences.